Even during a pandemic, it’s worth taking time to thank our elected school board members for charting the future of our students and communities. The Oregon School Boards Association has set aside the month of January to honor the unpaid elected volunteers who serve on Oregon’s 197 local school boards, our 19 education service district boards, and our 17 community college boards. These dedicated local leaders give their personal time and energy to handling the critical tasks of budgeting and overseeing the management of Oregon’s public education structure.
We encourage school districts, education service districts, community colleges, mayors and other local officials to join OSBA in celebrating “School Board Recognition Month” in January. By doing so, you can help educate citizens about the importance of public schools and the people who ensure that Oregon’s children receive the education they need to prosper in today’s global economy.
The following resources can help you in this effort.
Consider using these OSBA-produced fillable certificates to recognize the service of board members in your district, ESD or community college:
For school districts and education service districts:
- Option 1: Color, with stars - for school district and ESD board members
- Option 2: Color, with border - for school district and ESD board members
- Option 3: Color, with graphics - for school district and ESD board members
For community colleges:
- Option 4: Color, with stars - for community college board members
- Option 5: Color, with border - for community college board members
- Option 6: Color, with graphics - for community college board members
Model proclamation: Customize or edit this text for a proclamation of School Board Recognition Month by your mayors or other appropriate local officials.
Model ESD proclamation: Customize or edit this text for a proclamation that honors ESD boards for their innovative services to school districts in their respective regions.
Model community college proclamation: Customize or edit this text for a proclamation that honors community college boards for their services
Customize and edit these news releases for submission to local newspapers or inclusion in district/college newsletters.
The Key Work of School Boards: Areas of focus that can assist in planning activities for public engagement during School Board Recognition Month.
Ways to honor your school board superheroes: A compilation of ideas used by schools to honor their board members
OSBA launched the Oregon School Board Member of the Year award in 2018 to recognize outstanding volunteers who make a difference in their communities. Nominees are considered for their advocacy efforts, leadership and support for student achievement.
Congratulations to the Oregon School Board Members of the Year!
(See the entire list here)
- Jamie Hurd, Jefferson County School District
- LeeAnn Larsen, Beaverton School District and OSBA Board president
- Ricardo Ruiz Madrigal, Reynolds School District
- Stephanie Pitts, Butte Falls School District
- Jon Bowerman, Fossil School District
- Erika Lopez, Hillsboro School District
- Kathy Wai, North Clackamas School District
- Sonja McKenzie, Parkrose School District
- Autumn Chadbourne, Central Point School District
- Bruce Raleigh, Brookings-Harbor School District