OSBA staff answers some common (and not so common) questions about board governance, board members' roles and responsibilities, good practices, running board meetings and board conflict. Don't see the answer to your question? Ask OSBA!
Your OSBA Team is dedicated to assisting you by responding to all of your questions. Additionally, we are committed to providing you with the best possible information, tools, and practices in a timely manner. There are times when we must research, or consult with other OSBA staff members to provide an answer to your questions. In these circumstances, we ask for your patience as the normal response time could potentially be delayed. Please expect an initial response, by phone or email, within 24-48 hours of submitting your question, and be aware that additional follow-up could take more time. If your question is time sensitive, please be sure to specify your deadlines in your initial request.
Thank you, we look forward to hearing from you!
Legal Disclaimer: The information contained on this site should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding your particular situation, please seek the advice of OSBA’s litigation services or independent counsel.
Most Recent Questions
- What is a ‘360-degree evaluation’ of a chief executive (superintendent or college president) and how is it used? (2/4/2019)
- Does a board have to have a meeting to schedule a special meeting or cancel a meeting? (1/26/2018)
- Do executive session minutes need to be reviewed, voted on and approved by the board? How should this be done? (1/23/2018)
- Does the public have a right to speak at a board meeting? What does a board do if a member of the public wants to complain about a staff member in a public meeting? (5/12/2017)
- Can a budget committee member be appointed at a budget committee meeting or does this appointment have to be made at a board meeting? (3/31/2017)
- July Board Meeting Requirements (2/28/2017)
- What are the rules for making up snow days? (1/13/2017)
- If our board is having a holiday party, is that considered a meeting and do we need to notice it? (12/19/2016)
- Can my school district use online fundraising sites such as gofundme.com and donorschoose.org? (10/28/2016)
- What is the veterans’ preference in the hiring process and how can I make sure it is being applied correctly in my school district/school? (9/30/2016)
- Can the chair call meetings whenever he or she wants, including executive sessions? (9/16/2016)
- For a board appointed committee (with no board member quorum participating) is the board executive assistant required to take the minutes or is someone designated from the committee during the initial meeting allowed to do so? (8/5/2016)
- Do we have to take minutes at a board retreat and if so do we have to have them approved at the board meeting? (7/22/2016)
- Are school board members held to the same standard as volunteers in the school district in terms of fingerprinting and background checks? (7/22/2016)
- If a quorum of the board attends a public forum does the forum have to be posted as a board meeting? (6/17/2016)
- Are school board members held to the same standard as volunteers in the school district in terms of fingerprinting and background checks?
- Be your best on the board
- Welcome the public to your school board meeting
- July meeting agenda checklist
- Can a budget committee member be appointed at a budget committee meeting or does this appointment have to be made at a board meeting?