PR in Action
Subscribe to a year’s worth of effective public relations ideas from the pros.
PR In Action is OSBA’s monthly service written by public relations professionals who understand schools. Available online, it’s brimming with research-based ideas, parent newsletters in Spanish and English, and the popular "Key Dates Calendar" for observances such as American Education Week and School Board Recognition Month.
Here’s a sample of what a typical issue of PR in Action may include:
- Forming a communications advisory committee - School districts have long recognized the value of involving staff and community in the decision-making process. Tip sheets suggest how to successfully establish a communications advisory committee.
- Communicating about incidents - Schools continue to face an increasing number of concerns, from weapons at school to student or staff member arrests to stranger danger incidents. Read guidelines on communicating to parents and the media.
- Creating a positive image - School staff are often perceived to be the most credible sources of information about schools. Learn some ways to make sure that the staff in your district are able to meet that challenge.
- Tips for improving your website and social media communications - Stay up to date on changing communication methods, with information on hashtagging, writing good emails, using infographics and more.
PR in Action regularly includes:
- Monthly Insights parent newsletter, in both English and Spanish, focusing on ways parents can start early to help their children plan for post-secondary education.
- Carefully researched guides on a variety of subjects including handling complaints, public speaking, communicating change, recognizing staff, improving publications and social media.
- Articles, fillers and editorials that can help call attention to American Education Week, Teacher Appreciation Day, School Board Recognition Month.
- Special communications and public relations tips for school board members, including what's new in social media and how to work with the media.
Login to access your subscription.