Town Halls - OSBA will host a series of town halls January-March 2019 to recruit and mobilize members of the public to advocate for sufficient, stable funding for Oregon schools.
Lobby Days - OSBA School Funding Lobby Days are designed to connect school board members, parents and educators from each district with their respective legislators to advocate for sufficient, stable funding for Oregon education.
Resolution - Join your peers across the state to urge legislators to adequately and sustainably fund Oregon Schools by downloading and adopting this Resolution. Our students are counting on it.
YES, I will honor the Promise through my advocacy
OREGON STUDENTS DESERVE REVENUE REFORM IN 2019
I PLEDGE TO URGE GOVERNMENT LEADERS TO FULLY FUND PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND CONTAIN COSTS. I WILL…
- CONTACT legislators and the governor.
- TESTIFY in the Capitol if needed.
- SUPPORT board resolutions and petitions to fund schools to the QEM.
- WRITE a letter to the editor in support of our students.
IN THE SOCIAL MEDIA WORLD, I WILL…
SHARE the Promise video on revenue reform.
to my social media posts.
“@PromiseOregon” on Twitter and Instagram.
“@The Promise of Oregon” on Facebook.
ENGAGE others on the urgency to fully fund our schools.
TO STAY INFORMED, I WILL…
TEXT the word “SCHOOLS” to 40649 to receive OSBA text message action alerts.
CHECK OUT the Oregonians for Student Success website.
GO to the OSBA website (http://www.osba.org/News-Center.aspx) to:
- SUBSCRIBE to OSBA’s OREdNews daily news compilation.
- SIGN UP to receive OSBA’s Legislative Highlights weekly email during the 2019 legislative session.
- LISTEN to the OSBA Sounding Boards podcast.
- READ the latest education news.
I will not rest until we fully fund schools in 2019.
Effective legislative advocacy
School board members' role in the legislative process.
Communicating with your Legislator
Tips on communicating with your legislator by phone, letter or in person.
Communicating your message to Legislators
Do's and don'ts for building relationships with legislators.
How to testify before a legislative committee
Suggestions for making a successful presentation before a legislative committee.
Know how the legislative process works
The foundation of successful advocacy is knowledge of the legislative process.
Sample letters to the editor
Helpful samples for letters to the editor
- Recommendation of the Joint Committee on Student Success's Work Groups - memo
The preliminary cost estimates of the recommendations from the three Joint Committee on Student Success's work group as submitted by Doug Wilson and Time Walker, Legislative Fiscal Office.
- Recommendations of the Joint Committee on Student Success's Work Groups - table
The preliminary cost estimates of the recommendations from the three Joint Committee on Student Success's work group as submitted by Doug Wilson and Tim Walker, Legislative Fiscal Office.
- Joint Committee on Student Success - Students Ready and Able to Learn
Joint Interim Committee on Student Success, Students Ready and Able to Learn work group's policy recommendations.
- Joint Committee on Student Success - High Quality Classrooms
Joint Interim Committee on Student Success, High Quality Classrooms work group's policy recommendations.
- Joint Committee on Student Success - College and Career Ready
Joint Interim Committee on Student Success, College and Career Ready work group policy recommendations.
- Quality Education Model (QEM) - August 2018 Final Report
Developed to estimate the level of funding required to operate a system of highly-effective schools, this model is a resource for educators and policymakers in their efforts to improve educational outcomes for Oregon's students.
- Quality Education Model (QEM) - Executive Summary
A summary of the August 2018 Quality Education Model.
- Chronic Underfunding of K-12 Public Education in Oregon and What You Can Do
2018 Quality Education Commission summary.
- Oregon Continues to Underfund K12 Education
More funding is needed to implement effective student-focused practices - Quality Education Commission May 2018.
- Overview of Oregon's Quality Education Model
A tool for School Districts - Oregon Department of Education May 2017.
- 2017 Quality Education Commission's Best Practices Panel Findings
Find what makes schools work.
- 2017 OSBA State Funding Survey
An assessment of Oregonians' budget priorities for the 2017 Legislative session, their support for revenue reform proposals, and the values they use to evaluate the state's tax system.
OSBA's PERS information center.
Join your peers across the state to urge legislators to adequately and sustainably fund Oregon Schools by adopting OSBA's sample resolution:
- Sutherlin School District
- Clatskanie School District
- Redmond Proficiency Academy
- Union School District
- Hermiston School District
- Dallas School District
- Central Curry School District
- Milton-Freewater School District
- Stanfield School District
- Sheridan School District
- Philomath School District
- Pinehurst School District
- Baker School District
- Southern Oregon ESD
- Grant ESD
- Redmond School District
- Phoenix-Talent School District
- Siuslaw School District
- Grants Pass School District
- Ontario School District
- South Wasco County School District
- Forest Grove School District
- South Coast ESD
- Jefferson School District
- Three Rivers School District
- Medford School District
- Scappoose School District
- Rainier School District
- Oregon City School District
- Tigard-Tualatin School District
- Creswell School District
- Estacada School District
- Vernonia School District
- North Clackamas School District
Letters to the Editor
- New education funding is encouraging sign
East Oregonian | Dale Freeman | December 7
- Opinion: Gov. Brown's budget offers opportunity to transform K-12 education
The Oregonian | LeeAnn Larsen, John Larson and Samantha Steele | December 3
- Support Students
Curry Coastal Pilot | Bruce Raleigh, Brookings-Harbor School District | November 2
- Governor race focuses on needs of schools
The Times | Maureen Wolf, Tigard-Tualatin School District | October 15
- Education should go beyond politics
East Oregonian | Scott Rogers, Athena-Weston School District | October 8
- Both candidates get importance of schools
Beaverton Valley Times | Becky Tymchuk, Beaverton School District | October 5
- Candidates need to follow through on campaign promises, especially to children
Statesman Journal | Tass Morrison, North Santiam School District | October 2
- Opinion: Our next governor must fix Oregon's revenue system to help schools
The Oregonian | LeeAnn Larsen, Beaverton School District |October 1
- Fully funded schools drive student achievements
Herald and News | Lori Theros, Klamath Falls City Schools | September 20
- Fix school funding
Lake Oswego Review | Liz Hartman, Lake Oswego School Board | September 20