Academic Content Standards
July 6, 2016
Oregon’s adopted state standards resulted from a state-led effort including Oregon teachers, administrators and state education leaders coordinated by the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA Center) and the council of chief State School Officers (CCSSO), to provide a clear and consistent framework to prepare students for college and the workforce. Oregon officially adopted the standards in October 2010.
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) (the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act) continues to require states to adopt challenging statute standards. Oregon has met those requirements by adopting the Common Core State Standards for English language arts and mathematics, the NextGeneration standards in science and other state standards in social studies and other subjects.
The Oregon Department of Education has begun the standards review and revision process for Social Sciences. Changes can be expected in the coming years.
Oregon uses standards that are aligned with expectations for college and career success in various subject areas:
- Arts - Oregon adopted new Arts standards in September 2015. These standards are based on the National Core Arts Standards and contain standards for dance, media art, music, theatre and visual arts.
- Educational Technology - The Oregon Educational Technology Standards were adopted in December 2008 and are aligned with the National Educational Technology Standards for Students .
- English Language Arts - Oregon adopted the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in October 2010. Unlike other subject-area standards, the Literacy standards are intended to be spread out throughout multiple subject areas and classes.
- Health - The Oregon Health Education Standards and Benchmarks were adopted in October 2012. ODE is currently preparing to review these standards.
- Mathematics - Oregon adopted the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics in October 2010.
- Oregon Skill Sets - The Oregon Skill Sets are lists of knowledge and skills in Career and Technical Education (CTE) that students need in order to be successful in Oregon’s educational and career environments.
- Physical Education - Oregon has adopted physical education standards. ODE is currently preparing to review these standards.
- Science - Oregon adopted the Next Generation Science Standards in March 2014. These standards will be fully implemented with aligned assessments by the 2018-19 school year.
- Social Sciences - Oregon adopted the Oregon Social Sciences Standards K-12 in August 2011. These standards are currently being reviewed by ODE.
- World Languages - Oregon adopted the Second Language Standards in August 2010.
Did you know 2014 - A four-minute YouTube video highlighting the progression of information technology.
For more information contact
at 800-578-6722 or via e-mail at
Shifts in English language arts and math standards