Smarter Balanced Assessment
March 23, 2016
Oregon's assessment of student achievement is shifting to a system which provides assessments to improve accountability and optional, interim assessments for instructional use. The system developed by the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium aligns assessments in math and English language arts (ELA) with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in those areas.
Smarter Balanced - the one-page fact sheet (504k ) focuses on how Smarter Balanced differs from its predecessors, and how creating higher standards will better prepare young people for their future. It acknowledges that because the Common Core State Standards the assessments are based upon are more rigorous, test scores are likely to drop this year.
- Aligned with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in math and English language arts.
- Provides achievement and growth information.
- Uses multiple measurements.
- Uses computer adaptive testing to provide faster and more accurate results to improve instruction.
- Uses summative assessments for statewide accountability. The summative assessment will be administered during the last 12 weeks of the school year and will include both computer adaptive tests and performance tasks that challenge students to apply what they've learned to real-world problems.
- Provides optional formative assessments using computer adaptive testing to provide faster and more accurate results to improve instruction.
- Provides research-based support and professional development for teachers.
- Teachers involved in the development and scoring of the assessment items.
Questions the board should ask:
- What is our transition time line?
- Where are we in the transition to Smarter Balanced assessment?
- What does the district need to complete the transition?
- What is the role of the Board in supporting those needs?
- How are we planning to communicate this transition and its impact for students? Staff? Administrators? Parents? Business? Community?
For more information contact
at 800-578-6722 or via e-mail at