Elementary Principal: Springfield School District, Springfield Oregon
March 07, 2016
Notice of Open Administrative Positions
Job Title: Principal - Elementary (Multiple Openings)
Reports To: Director of Elementary Education
FLSA Status: Exempt
Closing Date: March 21, 2016
The Elementary School Principal serves as the instructional leader and chief administrator of the elementary school, responsible for implementing and managing the policies, regulations, and procedures to ensure that all students are supervised in a safe learning environment.
Achieving academic excellence and building capacity requires that the Elementary School Principal work collaboratively to lead and nurture all school staff. Communicates effectively with parents, community stakeholders, and colleagues in other schools. Inherent in the position are the responsibilities for planning, curriculum development, program evaluation, extracurricular activities, personnel management, financial management, emergency procedures, resource scheduling, and facilities operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates and implements successful school improvement plans.
- Manages daily operation of school building.
- Uses multiple sources of data as a diagnostic tool to assess, identify and apply instructional improvement.
- Creates a climate of continuous learning.
- Actively engages the school community stakeholders to create shared responsibility for student and school success.
- Promotes academic success of all students.
- Appropriately counsels and disciplines students in compliance with district policy.
- Reviews and plans curriculum for all subjects.
- Organizes and attends staff meetings.
- Writes and presents reports to school board meetings.
- Interviews job applicants and makes recommendations to the Director of Elementary Education.
- Plans and implements appropriate professional development aligned to District’s vision and goals.
- Analyzes data and creates appropriate reports and action plans.
- Meets regularly with administrative staff, students, parents and building staff.
- Communicates effectively and regularly with the school board, Superintendent, parent and students.
- Effectively and proactively manages conflict within the school building.
- Works collaboratively with parent stakeholder groups.
- Schedules and organizes student activities and state testing.
- Assists Director of Elementary Education in creating District calendar annually.
- Establish and manage annual building budget within district guidelines and ensuring compliance with program requirements.
- Completes special projects as assigned by Director of Elementary Education.
- Hires, evaluates and coaches building staff as outlined by Human Resources department.
- Follows and maintains knowledge of all District policy(ies) and procedures.
- Interacts thoughtfully and courteously with students, staff and parents and resolves conflict in a professional manner.
- Maintain appropriate certifications and training hours as required.
- Comply with applicable District, state, local and federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Attend work regularly and is punctual.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Elementary Education consistent with the goals and objectives of the position.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities
Marginal duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Attends educational support meetings, including Individualized education plan (IEP) meetings, and school board meetings
- Monitors hallways and cafeteria. Inspects facilities and campus for health and safety concerns.
- Maybe called upon to answer office telephones and substitute teach as necessary.
- Assists teachers in developing and maintaining appropriate and effective teaching methods.
- Assists sick or injured students according to District policy.
- Supervises students at recess.
Directs work of school-based classified, licensed and confidential employees. Evaluates classified, licensed and confidential employees according to District policy. Resolves grievances and other employee relations issues, including discipline, by working closely with human resources and disciplines employees appropriately. Supervises students and assists in maintaining a safe environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Master's degree (M.A.) or equivalent and at least three (3) years successful teaching and leadership experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably at the elementary level.
Interpersonal Skills: Works well with others, focuses on solving conflict, maintains confidentiality, listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control, remains open to others’ ideas and contributes to building a positive team spirit. Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate staff.
Language Skills: Ability to respond effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English to the most sensitive inquires or complaints from students, parents, regulatory agencies or members of the community. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to the Director of Elementary Education and school board members. Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex written documents. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
Computer Skills: General knowledge of computer usage and ability to use database software, e-mail, internet software, teaching software and word processing software.
Other Skills and Abilities: Demonstrated knowledge of child growth and development at each level of instruction and of the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of young children. Possess knowledge of effective behavior management methods. Ability to delegate responsibilities and meet time lines.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certificates as determined by the District including but not limited to Oregon Educational Administrative License issued through the Teachers Standards and Practices Commission and valid Oregon driver's license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; sit; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate, but occasionally high depending upon student population and activities. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions and outdoor weather conditions. Employee may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens.
Salary Range: $82,917 - $102,738 plus a generous benefit package
All our postings/applications go through TalentEd Recruit & Hire. Go to www.springfield.k12.or.us and click on the Jobs button. Locate the words “Applicants Get Started Now! Click Here” and click the link, which takes you to TalentEd Recruit & Hire. Be sure to submit a complete application package including reference letters and employment verifications.