Superintendent: Reedsport School District, Reedsport Oregon
December 31, 2014
Notice of Open Administrative Position
Position: Superintendent (.5 to .6 FTE)
District: Reedsport School District
Location: Reedsport, Oregon
About the position:
The Reedsport School District Board of Directors is seeking a highly effective and communicative superintendent to lead the district into the future.
This is an excellent leadership opportunity for the right candidate. The board of directors is looking for an educational leader who can support the work of teachers and principals in their quest for student success as they adopt Common Core standards.
- Michael Lasher - Northwest Leadership Associates
About the District:
Reedsport schools serve nearly 600 students in one elementary school (K-6), and one middle/high charter school. The district has dedicated full-time principals along with supportive staff at both elementary and secondary schools. Reedsport Academy, an online charter school for homeschool students and as a means to provide more electives to traditional students is also operated by the district. The District is very proud of its first in Oregon High School Apprentice Program that places qualifying students - still in high school - with employers in the area. The “Braves Session” is a two week inter-semester break that offers high school students a variety of electives, credit recovery options and job shadowing experiences. The elementary, including full-day kindergarten, is home to an active HPO and weekly swimming lessons at the pool.
About the Community:
Reedsport has something for everyone! This beautiful coastal district lies between Coos Bay/North Bend and Florence Oregon (both only 30 minutes away). With 4150 residents and a large influx of visitors in the summer months, the community supports a variety of business and the arts.
Reedsport’s mild year round climate and wind protected location hosts a variety of outdoor activities including: a variety of nationally recognized ocean and fresh water fishing opportunities, hunting, boating, hiking, off-road riding and sightseeing. Nearby Winchester Bay is home to the Oregon Coast’s largest sport fishing fleet. Reedsport is also at the heart of the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area the largest expanse of coastal sand dunes in North America. Golfers can play year round in Reedsport or nearby courses. Concerts, shopping and other “big” city events are available in Roseburg within an hour’s drive and Eugene is only 90 minutes.
The citizens of Reedsport believe in education and work together to support their schools with all manner of fundraisers. The district is also supported by an active Education Foundation. The community is known for rising to the occasion in times of need and one of the many benefits of small town life.
The Board is interested in someone who is willing to commit to the district for a number of years and will consider a multi-year contract with salary up to $62,500 - .6FTE, full family medical, dental, and vision and PERS pickup. The board will also consider candidates who wish to work only half-time. The board has a preference for individuals willing to live within the district.
Jennifer Clark (chair)
Opportunities and Priorities:
- Developing a comprehensive plan to lead school improvement and position the district for further success
- Supporting district principals and teachers, particularly at the elementary school to improve student learning
- Articulating and communicating a vision for the Reedsport School District that can be embraced and supported by the staff and community
- Continuing an emphasis on technology and vision for its use as a learning tool for Reedsport students and staff
- Developing strategies to involve Reedsport School District families, community members, and organizations in the educational process resulting in an improvement of learning
Desired Qualities and Characteristics:
The Board of Directors, staff and community are seeking candidates with the following qualities and characteristics:
- An understanding of rural communities;
- Strong communication skills with parents, community members, staff and students
- Proven, effective, and visionary leader with a “Do as I do” mentality who will lead by example
- Experience in developing instructional support strategies, curriculum, and curriculum alignment
- Support of diverse learning environments and diverse learners
- An open, collaborative leadership style that motivates and develops common purpose and encourages teamwork within the organization
- Unquestioned personal integrity and honesty
- Ability and willingness to make difficult decisions when necessary and hold himself/herself and others responsible and accountable for decisions
- Exhibits a strong interest in students and student activities
- Strong financial and budget management
- Maintain a high degree of visibility within the community and schools to include active participation and involvement in school and community activities
- Possess experience as teacher and principal
- Grant writing experience
Application Procedures and Timeline:
Applications are due January 30, 2015; however, the district retains the option of accepting applications until the position is filled.
Those interested in pursuing this position are urged to contact Northwest Leadership Associates through Michael Lasher at 541-969-6024 or at email@example.com
A completed application packet should include:
- A completed application form available from Northwest Leadership Associates (contact information below.);
- A letter of interest in the position;
- A statement explaining how the candidate’s experience and training prepares him/her to address the challenges outlined in this posting (maximum of one page per challenge);
- A resume including information about potential references;
- Four letters of recommendation
All Application Materials Should Be Sent to either:
Northwest Leadership Associates
24 NW Mountain View Dr.
Roseburg, OR 97471
For more information: