Superintendent: Nyssa School District, Nyssa Oregon
February 12, 2016
Notice of Open Administrative Position
Filing Deadline: March 14, 2016, prior to 5:00 PM
Start Date: July 1, 2016
About the Position
Nyssa School District is seeking an educational leader to serve as Superintendent of Schools. The newly appointed superintendent would be expected to assume duties on July 1, 2016. The successful applicant must hold a valid Oregon or comparable State Administrator/Superintendent License.
About the District
Nyssa School District serves approximately 1150 students on a single campus with three schools: Nyssa Elementary School (K-5), Nyssa Middle School (6-8) and Nyssa High School (9-12). The district general fund budget is $14,070,077.
The district provides a month long Migrant Summer School for students. A Dual Language Immersion Program was implemented last year in the elementary school starting with grades K-1. The program expanded to grades 2-3 this year and for 2016-2017 will expand to include grades 4-5.
Newer facilities were completed for the high school and the gymnasium/auditorium complex is one of the largest and nicest for a school of this size. A new elementary school was completed in June of 1997 and plans are underway for a levy for a new middle school. The district employs 8 administrators, 68 teachers, and 72 others employed as support staff. The students in the district benefit from a low student to teacher ratio. Class sizes range from 20-30.
Additional information is available on the district website at www.nyssa.k12.or.us
About the Community
Nyssa is located in eastern Oregon, near the Idaho border and is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone. Nyssa has a population of approximately 3,200 and is in the heart of a rich agricultural area which lies along the Snake River, 55 miles from Boise, ID and 12 miles from Ontario, OR. Sugar beets, onions, potatoes, wheat, corn, mint, hay, seed and cattle prosper in the area.
Nyssa is called the Gateway to Oregon. Early travelers on the Oregon Trail taking the South Route met up with the main trail in this area of Southeast Oregon. Oregon Trail wagon wheel ruts are still visible west of Nyssa.
The valley has five colleges/universities that provide educational and related cultural opportunities. They are Treasure Valley Community College, Eastern Oregon University, College of Idaho, Northwest Nazarene University and Boise State University.
Lake Owyhee located less than one hour from Nyssa is filled with crappie and bass, while trout and catfish are plentiful in area rivers and streams. Pheasant, chukar, quail, deer, antelope and water fowl provide hunting opportunities for hunters and fisherman who visit or reside in the area. Four ski resorts are located within easy driving distance.
- Applicants must hold a valid Oregon Administrator/Superintendent license or other comparable State Administrator/Superintendent License
- Demonstrates strong communication skills and communicates effectively with the community, staff, students and the Board of Directors
- Is approachable, accessible and listens to others with an open mind; accepts differences of opinion
- Is able to lead and develop positive relationships with the board, staff, students and community
- Demonstrates strong decision-making and problem-solving skills; shows integrity and involves others in the process; is able to make unpopular decisions when necessary and communicate them clearly
- At least 5 years of combined successful experience with a pattern of increasing responsibility in teaching and education administration
- Advocates for students of diverse abilities, interests and cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of current Oregon laws related to budget, finance, construction bonds, collective bargaining, labor relations, charter schools, special needs students and facilities management;
knowledge of federal education laws
• Ability to work with an elected board in an open and professional manner
• Demonstrates strong personal and professional honesty, integrity, fairness and justice
• Candidates willingness to invest in our community is important
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email Audrie Tracy at email@example.com for an application or you may download one from our district website at www.nyssa.k12.or.us
- Superintendent Application
- Letter of Interest addressing your qualities and qualifications
- Current Resume
- Copy of current Oregon Administrator/Superintendent License or other comparable State Administrator/Superintendent License
- Minimum of three current Letters of Recommendation
- Copies of transcripts
- Other material as desired
Application and all other required materials must be received prior to 5:00 PM on March 14, 2016.
Application packets may be mailed, faxed or emailed to the following:
Audrie Tracy, Administrative Assistant
Nyssa School District 26
804 Adrian Blvd.
Nyssa, OR 97913
Phone (541) 372-2275
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants who do not submit a complete application packet will not be considered for this position.
- Application closing date is March 14, 2016
- Review applications – end of March, specific date to be determined
- Interviews – end of March or first of April, specific date to be determined
- Visit finalists’ current school – April, specific date to be determined
- Negotiate contract / position offered – April, specific date to be determined
- Announce selection May 9, 2016
- Contract begins July 1, 2016
Names of all applicants, correspondence and files will be held in confidence. A screening committee(s) will assist the board in finalizing a list of candidates. Finalists will be personally interviewed by the board and the board inquiry will extend with a site visit to the finalists’ current school.