Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources: Hermiston School District, Hermiston Oregon
March 8, 2016
Notice of Open Administrative Position
Position: Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
About the Position:
The Hermiston School District is seeking applicants for Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources.
The Assistant Superintendent, will plan, direct, organize, and administer the staffing and human resources functions for licensed, administrative, classified, confidential, and supervisory positions. This includes assignment, recruitment, selection, employee record keeping, compensation, evaluation, and the administration of labor relations and employee benefits.
- Valid Oregon administrative license or ability to obtain one prior to July 1, 2016.
- Five (5) years of prior successful central office or building principal experience.
- Ability to maintain integrity of confidential information relating to students, staff, or district patrons.
- A collaborative team member and ability to work harmoniously with others.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of the collective bargaining process.
- Experience in recruitment, hiring, negotiations and contract management, administrative rules, and other regulations pertaining to personnel matters.
- Experience in short and long range planning processes.
- Knowledge and experience in dealing with other cultures and supporting a diverse workforce.
- Knowledge and understanding of the interrelationships between budgets, staffing levels, and school reform efforts.
The applicant must digitally supply the following items to the Human Resources Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The applicant must complete/supply the following items through TalentEd:
- Application form (Fillable PDF) available at: www.hermiston.k12.or.us/employment
- Professional Resume
- Letters of Recommendation (3 required)
- Letter of Introduction detailing the candidate's ability to successfully meet the preferred qualifications.
This position will remain open until filled where candidates are recommended to have application materials submitted by 4:00 pm on Monday, March 28, 2016.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure his/her application is complete.
About the District:
The Hermiston School District is the largest district in Eastern Oregon, exceeding 5,500 students, and continues to experience steady enrollment growth. It serves students in grades kindergarten through 12 with a broad range of programs from foundational learning skills to comprehensive vocational programs to an exhaustive array of post-secondary college credit bearing opportunities. The school district includes a 9-12 senior high school, two 6-8 middle schools, five K-5 elementary schools, an alternative school, and a robust online learning program option for students and families.
Support for the school district has been strong from the community. In 2001 voters approved a $39 million building program which included the re-construction of the high school, an additional elementary school, and various district-wide renovations. The voters also approved a $69.9 million bond in 2008. The bond served to replace Armand Larive Middle School, West Park Elementary, and Sunset Elementary. A new $5.0M sports facility recently lauded as “The Best Prep Stadium in Oregon (OregonLive, 2014)," provides a state-of-the-art collegiate-level track and field complex and all-weather football and soccer surface.
The District employs over 550 full time staff that includes approximately 300 teachers and over 200 classified, support, and supervisory personnel, making it one of the largest employers in the city of Hermiston. A nationally-recognized community that embraces its diversity, the district serves some 30,000 residents, where one-third of the population is Hispanic.
The school district prides itself on the academic achievement of its students, successful athletic programs, nationally-recognized club and activity organizations, and its exhaustive list of academic and elective opportunities available to students. The District’s partnership with community organizations has been central to its continued success, highlighted by support groups who have provided nearly a half a million dollars to assist students and programs through such venues as the Hermiston Sports Booster Club, Hermiston Education Foundation, Band Boosters, FFA Alumni, and the community sponsorship of the student homebuilding program, to name a few.
About the Community:
The largest city in eastern Oregon, Hermiston maintains over 17,000 residents and is located in northeastern Oregon, just south of the Oregon-Washington border. The Hermiston School District boundary encompasses over 150 square miles of the Columbia Basin region, whose unique geographical area offers an extended growing season and a variety of agricultural crops and products. The immediate Hermiston area has been able to diversify its economy with food processing, cold storage, warehousing and distribution facilities. In addition, Hermiston’s close proximity to the Columbia River Gorge and the surrounding Blue Mountains make it an ideal place for outdoor activities, and one of the fastest growing and economically charged communities in all of Oregon.
The Hermiston School District offers an extremely competitive administrative salary and benefits package which includes PERS retirement employer-paid pick-up, tuition reimbursement, professional organization support, and a comprehensive health and benefits package. The contract year for this position is 261 days, including 9 paid holidays, and a generous vacation allowance. The successful candidate will assume the position July 1, 2016.
2016-17 Salary Range: $120,000 - $130,000 depending upon experience.
- Generous monthly insurance allowance
- District-paid employee life insurance
- District-paid PERS pick up
- District-provided 4% annuity
- Travel, cell phone, and service club dues monthly allowances
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program
- $5000 stipend for doctorate degree
The Hermiston School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer