Superintendent/Principal: Days Creek School District, Days Creek Oregon
March 10, 2015
Notice of Open Administrative Position
Organization: Days Creek School District #15
Location: Days Creek, Oregon
Closing Date: March 20, 2015
About the Position:
The Days Creek School District Board of Directors is seeking a superintendent/principal to replace outgoing superintendent, Mindy Porter.
"This is an excellent leadership opportunity for the right candidate. The board of directors is seeking an educational leader who can support the work of teachers as they adopt Common Core standards and communicate a compelling vision of the district’s advantages to families and the community."
Northwest Leadership Associates
About the District:
The Days Creek Charter School serves approximately 160 students. This small district in rural Douglas County has a committed board of directors who have supported the outgoing superintendent through a couple of difficult years of cost cutting. This district has been through a lot and has come out of its financial crisis with a renewed sense of hope and optimism. The next superintendent inherits a district with strong growth potential and the will to succeed.
Besides the Superintendent/Principal, the district also employs an administrator as a “School Success Coordinator” who is focused on improving educational outcomes for the Days Creek Students. Days Creek Charter School consistently rates higher than many other districts in Douglas County on state report cards.
The district provides a 21st Century education in a small, rural setting with low average class sizes. In 2008 US News and World Report named Days Creek High School a bronze medal as one of America’s Top 100 Best High Schools for excellence in teaching.
The Charter of Days Creek School focuses on Natural Resources and Agriculture, both important in the surrounding area. The district has a strong sense of community and is proud of their ability to provide individualized instruction. The next superintendent will be an advocate for these programs to students and families in-district and in the surrounding area.
About the Community:
Days Creek School District serves the unincorporated communities of Days Creek, Milo, Tiller and Drew, with a combined population of approximately 1000 residents.
Days Creek and the surrounding communities are located along the beautiful South Umpqua River in a naturally scenic area of farm land, mountains and forest. Recreational activities abound including boating, fishing, hunting, hiking, camping and mushrooming. Days Creek is located seven miles northeast of Canyonville off of Interstate 5 and less than 100 miles from Crater Lake, the Pacific Ocean, Eugene Oregon, and the California border.
For more information:
The Board is interested in someone who is willing to commit to the district for a number of years and will consider a multi-year contract with salary up to $95,000 and benefits commensurate with other similar-sized districts and based on the candidate's experience and abilities.
Kathy Bennett, Chair
Challenges and Opportunities:
- Articulating a vision for the Days Creek School District that can be embraced and supported by the staff and community
- Continuing to improving the financial health of the district through creative funding opportunities and increased enrollment
- Promoting a culture among staff and students that delivers on academic improvement and opportunities for all children.
Desired Qualities and Characteristics:
The Board of Directors, staff and community are seeking candidates with the following qualities and characteristics:
- An understanding of small, rural communities
- An understanding of the Governor’s reform efforts and how Oregon is responding to its new wavier status and 40-40-20
- Demonstrates a passion and ability to address instructional excellence, student achievement and placing students first in all decisions
- A commitment to finding new sources of funding and creative avenues of greater efficiency
- Sound financial management skills with the ability to effectively communicate fiscal issues to the board, staff, and community
- Fosters a culture that expects the best of both students and staff
- Exhibits a strong interest in students and student activities
- Maintains a high degree of visibility within the community and schools to include active participation and involvement in school and community activities
- Possesses experience as teacher, principal and superintendent
Application Procedures and Timeline:
Applications are due March 20, 2015; however, the district retains the option of accepting applications until the position is filled.
Those interested in pursuing this position are urged to contact Northwest Leadership Associates through Michael Lasher at 541-969-6024 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A completed application packet should include:
- A completed application form available from Northwest Leadership Associates (contact information below)
- A letter of interest in the position
- A statement explaining how the candidate’s experience and training prepares him/her to address the challenges outlined in this posting (maximum of one page per challenge)
- A resume including information about potential references
- Four letters of recommendation
All application materials should be sent to:
Northwest Leadership Associates
24 N.W. Mountainview Dr.
Roseburg, OR 97471