Performance pay primer - implementation guidelines
July 16, 2009
Finally, the study identified nine points districts should follow to ensure success in a school-based performance program:
- Provide feedback on results of past assessments to help teachers refine curriculum and instruction.
- Make sure that school-based performance award program goals do not compete with other school goals.
- Institutionalize a consistent source of funding for school-based performance awards.
- Set the bonus amount high enough to compensate for increased stress and hours worked.
- Involve teachers in the design and implementation process so they help decide the improvement levels sought and the program mechanics.
- Measure every performance goal in a systematic, valid and realizable way.
- Select equitable measures that address student mobility, students with disabilities, limited English proficient students, students from low-income back-grounds, etc., to calculate awards.
- Attain the principal’s active support.
- Evaluate and adjust the school-based performance award program as needed.
Oregon educators exploring new ways of teacher pay
Performance pay primer - design and implementation
Performance pay primer - employee compensation programs