Pandemic and outbreak threats resources and information
OSBA urges districts to develop or review pandemic flu or other virus outbreak plans, be vigilant and responsive, and work with your local health department officials.
Here are some resources to help you:
- Locate contact information for your local health department.
- For small or single-building school districts, contact your local ESD for assistance in maintaining business, reporting, or financial services in event of a school closure.
- For multiple-building school districts, discuss the process for notifying schools where siblings of students in closed schools attend.
- Review teacher and classified employee contracts for any restrictions or limitations on your ability to change work schedules or assignments. Contact the designated representative for your local bargaining unit to discuss a response to possible flu outbreak and school closure.
- Review the Centers for Disease Control Resources for child care programs, schools, colleges and universities
Planning resources from OSBA
- Sample letter to parents (35k )
- Influenza or other virus: Districts should be prepared for an outbreak - even if it never happens
- A checklist for district preparedness planning
- Policy issues
More online resources for pandemic and outbreak threats planning
You can find more information on handling pandemic and outbreak threats at:
- flu.oregon.gov - Oregon-specific influenza information
- Flu.gov Page - Information about influenza and how to contain and manage it
- CDC Flu Page - Influenza information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Readiness Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance (TA) Center - Useful resources and information for addressing infectious diseases as part of a comprehensive emergency operations plan
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services’ Pandemic Flu Web site - Authoritative site for U.S. government information on pandemic threats
- School district pandemic influenza planning checklist - Checklists developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Pandemic Influenza Plan - Health & Human Services Pandemic Influenza Plan, outlining national, state and local responsibilities
- Emergency Planning: Influenza Outbreak - Information on pandemic preparedness developed by the U.S. Department of Education, including tools to assist schools
- CDC H1N1 Flu Page - Updates on H1N1 flu from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Pandemic Flu School Action Kit from Contra Costa Health Services (California) (7/6/06)
- Enterovirus D68 and the Ebola Virus Resources - U.S. Department of Education letter to school superintendents nationwide includes resources for enterovirus and Ebola virus
- CDC Enterovirus Page - Information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CDC Ebola Virus Page - Information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Ebola Virus Health Updates from the Dallas ISD - Information from the Dallas Independent School District in Texas includes parent letters and resources for school districts