Leadership Oregon 2017
Advanced leadership training: join Leadership Oregon 2017
- Improve your leadership skills
- Broaden your horizons
- Make a difference for students
Become a better leader and make a difference on your board
Leadership Oregon is specialized leadership training offered in 2017 to about 20 OSBA members. It's not for everyone - it requires a solid understanding of basic board leadership skills and a time commitment.
- Challenge, develop and support emerging school leaders.
- Create a network of leaders and mentors.
- Provide a peer support group for school board members.
- Increase school board involvement and influence in local, state and national education issues.
Skills you’ll take home
- Become a recognized education leader at any level you choose.
- Strengthen community support networks.
- Understand the complexities of public education - and explain them well to others!
- Learn to be a good ambassador for your district/community college and for public education.
- Testify before the Legislature and state agencies.
- Serve as a mentor to new board members.
All sessions are one and a half days, they are held in Salem and times are Fridays from 8am - 5pm and Saturdays from 8am - 12pm. Participants must attend all four sessions to graduate. A detailed agenda will be posted online several weeks before meeting dates.
- January 13-14: Communications and Strategic Messaging – This session is designed to equip you to deal effectively with the media, and to strengthen your presentation and persuasion skills.
- February 17-18: Advocacy & Engagement – This session is designed to strengthen your legislative advocacy and enhance your understanding of statewide public education efforts.
- April 7-8: Advanced Leadership – This session is designed to take your school board leadership to an advanced level.
- May 5-6: Legal or Hot Topic Issues – This session is designed to increase your awareness of current issues in public education governance and prepare you to address these issues in your region.
Leadership training is held here at the OSBA offices in Salem and hotel accommodations are nearby.
Is it expensive?
Surprisingly not. Your only expenses are transportation to and from the sessions, dinners on your own and the time you spend away from home and work. OSBA underwrites the remaining cost (includes hotel accommodations and most meals).
Participants must attend all four sessions in order to graduate.
The hidden bonus
You'll create lasting friendships through Leadership Oregon. You'll share ideas and resources. You also will get to know OSBA staff members and tap into their expertise.
How do I apply?
- Open the PDF below
- Fill in your information
- Save the PDF
- Email the saved PDF to Renee Sessler, Board Development Specialist, at email@example.com or Sarah Herb, Board Development Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application is also available in the mailed brochure.
In order to participate in the 2017 Leadership Oregon Program, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Completed three courses (Roles and Responsibilities, Public Meetings, and Board Governance through Policy) prior to January 2017. If you would like to take these courses, they are available online at www.osba.org/olc.
- Have served on the local board at least two years.
- Willing to commit to attending all four session.
Because enrollment is limited, selection of participants will be made after the application deadline and will consider the following:
- To achieve a mix of participants representing different geographic regions and district sizes.
- Participant intent to continue board service beyond 2017.
- When more than one person from the same district applies, preference will be given to the applicant endorsed by the local board. The additional applications may be considered on a space available basis; however, we do not anticipate accepting a quorum of the board.
- Additional preference may be given to applicants who have taken additional Leadership Institute courses.
List of Leadership Oregon graduates
Leadership Oregon is a requirement to meet Platinum Level for Leadership Institute.
Comments from recent graduates
"The workshops that are presented I have found extremely valuable by giving me the tools to be an effective board member. I would encourage everyone to consider taking part in the leadership training offered through OSBA."
Don Cruise, board member, Philomath School District; OSBA board member
“Leadership Oregon gave me the confidence and knowledge I needed to become a better, more effective Board Chair. The value and quality of the training far exceeded my expectations.”
Bruce Raleigh, board member, Brookings-Harbor School District
For more information, please contact Steve Kelley.