Honoring value, expertise and service to education.
Certificate of Recognition in Leadership Achievement reflects your growing importance.
The demands on board members have grown as new federal, state and local responsibilities are added to the agenda.
With budgets tighter and public scrutiny sharper, the stakes are higher. But so are the results accomplished by good board members. More and more, leadership is what "makes all the difference."
You deserve formal recognition for the time and talent you devote to your community's most important responsibility - public schools.
Adapting to your needs
The OSBA Leadership Institute was created to align conferences, workshops, on-site sessions and other leadership activities for board members into a recognition program.
OSBA workshops meet the needs of busy people - some courses are online while others are offered in person at workshops and conferences. OSBA also presents custom on-site sessions to meet local needs.
How certification works
Individual board members can receive four levels of Recognition in Leadership Achievement.
The Leadership Institute Bronze Board Member Certificate of Completion is given to individuals who have completed the following courses:
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Public Meetings
- A Systems Approach to Student Achievement
- School Finance
The Leadership Institute Individual Silver Board Member Certificate of Completion is given to individuals who have completed the requirements for the Bronze Board Member Certificate of Completion and have also completed five of the following courses:
- Community Engagement
- Board Governance through Policy
- Superintendent Evaluation
- Labor Relations and Bargaining
- Legislative Advocacy
- School Law for Board Members
- Educational Equity
The Leadership Institute Individual Gold Board Member Certificate of Completion is given to individuals who have completed the requirements for Silver Board Member Certificate of Completion and have also completed five additional elective courses. Courses must be chosen from those available in at least five different categories. (See category list below)
- Charter Schools
- Community Partnerships
- Conflict Management
- Effective Meetings
- Ethical Dilemmas
- Media Relations
- School Climate
- Special Education
- Student Achievement
The Leadership Institute Individual Platinum Award is given to individuals who have completed the requirements for the Leadership Institute Individual Gold Award and have also completed OSBA’s Leadership Oregon.
Individual board member awards will be recognized at the OSBA Annual Convention each year based on activities completed by August 30 of that year.
The Leadership Institute Master School Board recognition is given annually to school boards that complete the following:
- Each board member has attended the Advanced Governance workshop provided to the board as a whole. Anytime the board membership changes, Advanced Governance shall be repeated.
- The board has engaged in a community engagement process to develop a district vision statement and goals. A goal based community engagement process must be held at least every five years.
- The board has conducted an annual superintendent evaluation.
- The board has conducted an annual board self-evaluation.
- The board conducts regular policy reviews and the district’s policies are current.
- The board has established a board-superintendent operating agreement. After the first year the board must review, discuss and re-adopt the operating agreement annually.
The Master School Board designation is good for one year (September 1 to August 30) in which all the requirements are met. It is awarded at the Convention following the year in which it is earned. The designation can be renewed and continued each year by maintaining all seven of the requirements. Please complete the Assurance Form.
Board members and boards receiving awards are recognized publicly for the time and commitment they make to being outstanding school leaders. Recognition includes:
- News releases to local communities about achievements
- Features in School Leader News
- Recognition at OSBA convention
Find out who is a Leadership Institute award winner
Find a training resource
Review your Leadership Institute status
- Click on the "My OSBA" tab
- Click the "Log In" link
- Enter your user name and password
- Click on "My Account" link
- Click on "My Leadership Institute Status" link
For more information, please contact Steve Kelley.