Board Secretary resources
Resources to help explain Oregon's public records and meetings law including running effective meetings, the budget committee, executive sessions and the role of the board chair.
Board meeting seating arrangements
Arrange the seating of board members so that each member can see every other member.
Board meeting notice
One regular board meeting should be held monthly at the district’s administrative headquarters or at the nearest practical location, with consideration given to persons with disabilities.
OSBA is a strong voice for school boards and public education in Salem and nationally. In addition, our staff provides advice and assistance to school boards in policy, negotiations, school improvement, communications and other issues your board may encounter. OSBA also offers a variety of opportunities for board development through regional and state meetings and conferences.
The enclosed materials are provided by OSBA as a membership service. They are especially designed to help you get your school board career off to a good start.
The success of new school board members is important to education in Oregon and most especially to the students it serves. OSBA is ready to assist you in any possible way. We’re as close as your telephone. Please call our staff at 1-800-578-6722.
July Board Meeting Requirements
Is the board required by law to hold a July board meeting?
- Policy - What is policy?
- Administrative regulation - What is an administrative regulation?
- Manual structure - How is the policy manual structured?
- Versions - Why are there differenct versions of policy?
- Codes - How are policies coded?
- Requirement - Is it required, conditionally required, highly recommended or optional?
- Bracketed language - What does the bracketed language signify?
- Asterisks - Why is there an astericks in the title?
- Adoption - How to adopt policy?
- Distribution - What is required for policy manual distribution?
- Policy Update - How to get the most from the policy update subscription?
- Manual Maintenance - How to get the most from the policy manual maintenance subscription?
- Online - How to get the most from the policy online subscription?
- Policy Plus - How to get the most from the policy plus subscription?
- How to Vignettes-
- Administrative Professionals listserv
- Board meeting minutes
- Do executive session minutes need to be reviewed, voted on and approved by the board? How should this be done?
- Are school board members held to the same standard as volunteers in the school district in terms of fingerprinting and background checks?
- Does a board have to have a meeting to schedule a special meeting or cancel a meeting?