Portland Public Schools is seeking a dynamic candidate who is committed to continuous advancement of student achievement to fill the position of Assistant Superintendent, Office of Teaching Learning to fill and existing vacancy. The Assistant Superintendent – Teaching and Learning provides leadership, direction and supervision for a variety of educational programs of the District; establishes and monitors deployment and implementation of the operational and instructional vision and focused plans for improving student achievement while narrowing the disparities between the biggest and lowest performing students; supervises and supports professional educators and administrators in developing curriculum and assessment providing academic teaching and learning services; provides focus and direction in developing and strengthening instructional practices for site leaders and professional educators; ensures a culture of high expectation which provides every student with equitable access to high quality and culturally relevant instruction; supports and implements the District’s Racial Equity Policy.
CLASSIFICATION AND SALARY This position is classified as Assistant Superintendent, Pay Grade SL200, on the Senior Leadership salary schedule FLSA Exempt. Salary range is $136,275 - $177,150.
The Senior Leadership Salary Schedule can be found here.
For more details, the complete Classification Specification can be viewed here.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Education, Training and Experience:
• A valid Oregon TSPC issued Administrative license is required at the time of appointment.
• A minimum of ten (10) years as a licensed school professional including a minimum of three (3) years of experience as a PK-12 school-based building administrator with demonstrated results in improving the academic performance of students and closing the achievement gap is required.
• Experience working in a richly diverse school community and environment and bilingual or multilingual skills are highly desirable.
• Demonstrated understanding of the development and implementation of curriculum and assessment.
• Current with recent innovations and research across multiple disciplines/subject areas.
• Positions in this classification require the use of a personal automobile and possession of a valid driver’s license.
• Work hours will occasionally include irregular hours, evening and weekend meetings and district functions.
• Experience serving as an instructional leader in an urban school district.
• Demonstrated professionalism and excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to lead others under stressful circumstances.
• Demonstrated use of multiple sources of data to define decisions.
• Ability to manage conflict through equitable decision-making and effective problem solving methods.
• Evidence of best practices in building a culture of equity that is student centered.
• Experience facilitating groups to achieve consensus.
• Experience laying foundation systems and processes.
HOW TO APPLY: Please visit our website at: http://www.pps.net/Page/2158 CLOSING DATE: This job is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as received. The PPS Human Resources Department reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any point during the posting period.
The District is focused on eliminating systemic racism and its impact on student learning.
PPS is committed to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in all its educational and employment activities. The District prohibits discrimination based on race; national or ethnic origin; color; sex; religion; age; sexual orientation; gender expression or identity; pregnancy; marital status; familial status; economic status or source of income; mental or physical disability or perceived disability or perceived disability; or military service. Portland Public Schools is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Opening Date: May 9, 2017
Closing Date: Open until filled.
Portland Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer.