Superintendent: Jefferson County School District 509J, Madras, Oregon
Notice of Open Administrative Position
Organization: Jefferson County School District 509J
Closing date: February 4, 2021
Position Begins: July 1, 2021
The Board of Directors of the Jefferson County School District seeks highly qualified applicants for the position of Superintendent.
This position is open until filled. To receive full consideration, apply by February 4, 2021.
Jefferson County 509J School District located in Madras, Oregon is a 4A district, serving 2,791 students in grades PK-12. Enrollment is expected to continue to grow slowly, as families discover the beauty of Central Oregon. The district employs 236 certified staff and 211 classified staff members in 5 elementary schools, one middle school and two high schools. The student-teacher ratio is 18 to 1. The communities of Madras and Metolius, as well as several unincorporated areas and the Warm Springs Indian Reservation are served by the district. Jefferson County 509J boasts of well-maintained facilities, including a modern Performing Arts Center that provide excellent learning space and accommodate many community events. The school district has developed many innovative programs to meet the needs of its diverse student population in order to meet its mantra of UNITE, ENGAGE, SOAR.
The Jefferson County 509J School District central office is located in Madras, in beautiful Central Oregon. The County is known for its sunny climate and popular recreation activities such as water and snow sports, hiking, camping, fishing and hunting. Nearby attractions include Lake Billy Chinook, The Museum at Warm Springs, and the Erickson Aircraft Collection. The Warm Springs Indian Reservation and a growing Latino population provides the area with many rich cultural opportunities. Madras, the County Seat, is the largest city in Jefferson County with an approximate population of 7,000. It is a diverse community with a rich history. The city has a state-of the-art aquatic center, extensive green spaces, and beautiful views of the Cascade Mountain Range. Madras is known as a diverse agricultural community built on small town values. Intentional collaboration between the school district, residents, businesses, government, service organizations and churches provide a top-notch quality of life for all its residents.
CHALLENGES and OPPORTUNITIES
- Be highly visible and engaged in the school and community, while building trust and positive relationships with the Native American, Anglo and Latino communities.
- Continue the district’s focus on equity, staff recruitment and professional learning in support of a growing and changing community.
- Lead with a positive, collaborative style, emphasizing clear communication, genuine listening, and consistent follow through with all stakeholders.
- Be a steward of the District’s and community’s financial, human and physical resources.
- Continue to support state and grant funded programs that increase academic achievements and high school graduation rates by all students.
- Creatively expand opportunities to enhance and increase student’s educational, co-curricular and extracurricular opportunities.
- Proven leader who will ensure every student, regardless of socio-economic status or ethnicity has access to varies educational pathways, allowing them to reach their full potential.
- Strong communication and relationship skills with students, staff and community.
- A proven education leader who has experience at the building and District level, working with diverse staff and community.
- Understands the dynamics and needs of a rural school district and community.
- The superintendent is expected to live in the district and be active and visible in the community.
- Courageous and decisive decision maker who approaches challenges as opportunities.
- Strong management skills, including fiscal and operations expertise, as well as knowledge of and experience with federal, state and local categorical funding.
A completed application packet should include the following:
• A formal letter of application
• A completed application form (request from Dr. Bill Jordan or Sergio Hernandez)
• A current resume
• Three to five letters of recommendation
• A written statement explaining how you plan to address each of the challenges and opportunities noted in this vacancy announcement
(PDF OR WORD FORMAT PREFERRED)
Sergio Hernandez I Phone: (509) 389-3940 I Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the District and this opportunity visit: https://www.jcsd.k12.or.us/
Jefferson County School District 509J is an Equal Opportunity Employer.