- Recruitment and jobs
- Hermiston SD Special Education Director
Special Education Director: Hermiston School District, Hermiston, Oregon
Notice of Open Administrative Position
Position: Special Education Director
Organization: HERMISTON SCHOOL DISTRICT 8R
Closing date: September 4, 2020 (open until filled)
The Hermiston School District is seeking applicants for Director of Special Education. The Director of Special Education is responsible for working with cabinet leadership in supporting the district’s mission and vision by carrying out management, administrative, and supervisory functions for the district’s special education programs including: Speech Language Pathology, School Psychology, Evaluations, Behavior Specialists, and IEP Compliance.
Special Education model
The Special Education model, in the Hermiston School District, focuses on the strengths of the individuals. We have facilitators whose strengths are organization and paperwork, they write the IEPs. We have teachers whose strength is teaching and working with students. The teachers attend the IEP meetings and provide input, but do not write
IEPs. We also have School Psychologists, Speech Language Pathologists, and Bilingual Secretaries that all fill roles to support the IEP qualification process. Philosophically, the Hermiston School District intends to put teachers (Special Education and otherwise) in classrooms to impact students positively.
1. Experience as an administrator and a minimum of three years of successful teaching experience.
2. A valid Oregon administrator’s license or ability to obtain one prior to start date.
3. Have experience in educational leadership, classroom management techniques and a variety of effective instructional strategies.
4. Have knowledge of best instructional practices to help all students achieve high standards.
5. Exhibit a personality that demonstrates enthusiasm and interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents, and the community.
6. Hold a Valid Driver’s License.
7. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate.
1. Evidence of demonstrated participation and leadership in professional activities related to special education.
2. Evidence of demonstrated participation and leadership in professional activities related to special education including school psychology, speech language pathology and behavior specialists.
3. Have experience working with external agencies and community organizations that provide support to our students.
The applicant must supply the following items online through Recruit & Hire: https://hermiston.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx
• Online Application form
• Professional Resume
• Letters of Recommendation (3 required)
• Letter of introduction detailing the candidate's ability to successfully meet the preferred qualifications
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure his/her application is complete.
This position will remain open until filled where candidates are recommended to have application materials submitted by 4:00 pm on Friday, September 4, 2020. Application review and screening will occur September 8th-11th.
About the District:
The Hermiston School District is the largest district in eastern Oregon, exceeding 5,700 students, and continues to experience steady enrollment growth. It serves students in grades kindergarten through 12 with a broad range of programs from foundational learning skills to comprehensive vocational programs to an exhaustive array of post-secondary college credit bearing opportunities. The school district includes a 9-12 senior high school, two 6-8 middle schools, five K-5 elementary schools, and a robust online learning program option for students and families.
Support for the school district has been strong from the community. In 2019 voters approved an $82.7 million building project which includes replacement of Rocky Heights Elementary, construction of an additional elementary school and a multi-classroom annex of the high school along with various district-wide renovations. The voters also approved a $69.9 million bond in 2008 which served to replace Armand Larive Middle School, West Park Elementary, and Sunset Elementary schools.
The District employs over 570 full time staff that includes approximately 330 teachers and over 240 classified, support, and supervisory personnel, making it one of the largest employers in the city of Hermiston. A nationally-recognized community that embraces its diversity, the district serves some 28,000 residents, where one-third of the population is Hispanic.
The school district prides itself on the academic achievement of its students, successful athletic programs, nationally- recognized club and activity organizations, and its exhaustive list of academic and elective opportunities available to students. The District’s partnership with community organizations has been central to its continued success, highlighted by support groups who have provided nearly a half a million dollars to assist students and programs through such venues as the Hermiston Sports Booster Club, Hermiston Education Foundation, Band Boosters, FFA Alumni, and the community sponsorship of the student homebuilding program, to name a few.
Hermiston School District has a comprehensive Vision 2025 plan, which outlines the direction for the District. HSD provides quality professional development for staff in a variety of areas, including constructing meaning, common formative assessments, research-based literacy strategies and Professional Learning Communities (PLC's). These components, along with an emphasis on small class sizes, cutting edge technology, and comprehensive curriculum support, make Hermiston school District a great place to work.
About the Community:
The city of Hermiston is a vibrant and growing community of approximately 18,000 residents located at the crossroads of the Pacific Northwest, situated near the intersection of I-84 and I-82, just minutes from a Columbia River port and 30 minutes from the Tri-Cities in Washington. Hermiston and the entire Umatilla County area have excellent potential for growth in commercial, industrial, agricultural, as well as residential development. Hermiston boasts over 100 acres for community use, volleyball courts, soccer fields, baseball diamonds, children's play areas, barbeque and picnic areas and more. Located within 10 minutes of downtown Hermiston, both Umatilla and Echo have challenging golf courses. The Columbia River offers tournament level fishing, as well as many water sports including swimming, wind surfing, and boating. Other fishing waters include the Umatilla River, Cold Springs Reservoir and many ponds. Nearby is Hat Rock State Park, and the Blue Mountains are within an hour drive, affording a wide variety of fishing, hunting and camping activities. In the winter, the mountains are home to excellent snow skiing, tubing, snowmobiling and sledding.
The Hermiston School District offers an extremely competitive salary and benefits package. Twelve (12) month position, including 9 paid holidays and generous vacation allowance. Salary, holidays, and vacation allowance will be pro-rated for mid-year hires. The successful candidate will assume as soon as possible.
Salary Range: $120,568-$144,089 depending upon experience
• Generous monthly insurance allowance
• District-paid employee life insurance
• District-paid PERS pick up
• District-provided 4% annuity
• Travel, cell phone, and service club dues monthly allowances
• Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program
• $5000 stipend for doctorate degree
Download the vacancy notice here.
Hermiston School District is an equal opportunity employer.