Superintendent: Reedsport School District, Reedsport, Oregon
Notice of Open Administrative Position
The Reedsport School District Board of Directors is seeking a highly qualified candidate with visionary leadership skills and successful experience in education administration to serve as superintendent. The successful candidate must have experience as a building-level administrator, excellent communication skills, unquestionable integrity and be willing to be involved in the community.
The Board will offer a competitive compensation package to the successful candidate starting with a base salary in the range of $105,000 - $120,000. The successful candidate must hold or qualify for an Oregon superintendent’s license.
The Reedsport School District serves approximately 700 students in grades K-12. The district has one elementary school (K-6) and one charter school (7-12). The district employs a staff of 40 full- and part-time licensed staff, 44 full- and part-time classified/support staff, two confidential staff and four administrative staff. The district’s general fund budget is approximately $8.5 million.
Reedsport is a small, rural district located on the estuary of the Umpqua River, four miles from the Pacific Ocean. The tourism industry is an important component of the Reedsport economy. The community is home to the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area headquarters office and has over 40 miles of some of the tallest sand dunes in
the nation. Recreational activities abound including miles of ATV trails, hiking trails, beaches, fishing, swimming, camping and wildlife watching. The town of Reedsport has a population of approximately 4,150 residents and is located 90 miles southwest of Eugene, Oregon’s second largest city, and 55 miles west of Roseburg.
The successful candidate will exhibit the following qualities and qualifications:
• Understands the importance of student learning in ALL academic areas and programs (including the fine and vocational arts, special education) and the involvement in extra- and co-curricular activities;
• Provides visionary leadership that is creative and challenges the status quo; demonstrates a thoughtful approach to positive collaborative consensus building when working with diverse groups and individuals;
• Demonstrates strong decision-making and problem- solving abilities; able to delegate responsibility to others; can make unpopular decisions when necessary and communicate them clearly with proper follow-through.
• Strong understanding of quality curriculum and instructional strategies; ability to handle consistent change in education and be proactive in leading initiatives; looks for new, relevant ways to improve education;
• A proven record of successful teaching and administrative experience in a public school district with small community/school experience preferred;
• Understands school finance, demonstrates sound fiscal management and budgeting skills;
• Ability to recruit, train, empower and retain high quality staff.
• Is approachable, accessible and listens to others with an open mind and accepts differences of opinion; has a strong “open-door” policy;
• Displays a transparent communication style by utilizing all district tools to communicate and collaborate with students, families, community members and staff;
• Demonstrates a sensitivity and respect toward diverse groups in the school district while continuing to build positive relationships with EVERYONE.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL CHARACTER
• Shows a passionate concern for and understanding of students and staff, focused on their success;
• Highly visible and actively involved in schools and the community; willing to live in the community;
• Desires a long-term commitment with the district.
All applicants will provide the following documents in Microsoft Word or PDF format. These materials must be submitted via email to Sarah Herb, OSBA board development assistant, by 5 p.m. on February 22, 2018.
• A completed application form, found here
• A current resume
• A letter of interest stating why you wish to be employed by the Reedsport School District
• A copy of your Oregon superintendent’s license or proof of eligibility for an Oregon superintendent’s license
• Three to five current letters of recommendation
• A statement regarding how you meet the qualities and qualifications for this position. This statement must be in a narrative form, not a bulleted list or outline
• A statement of current examples of your participation in community events and why this is important in the success of your present position. This statement must be in a narrative form (250 words or less), not a bulleted list or outline
APPLICATION OPEN: January 18, 2018
CLOSING DATE: February 22, 2018
ASSUME POSITION: July 1, 2018
For information regarding the position, contact: Steve Kelley, Director of Board Development and Executive Searches
firstname.lastname@example.org • 503.588.2800 • 800.578.6722 • 503.588.2813 (Fax)
For questions regarding the application process, contact:
Sarah Herb, Executive Search Assistant 503.588.2800 • email@example.com
To download a brochure or apply, visit our website (after the above opening date) at www.osba.org/execjobs.
OUT-OF-STATE CANDIDATES: To ensure eligibility for an Oregon superintendent’s license, direct inquiries to: Oregon Teachers Standards and Practices Commission,
503-378-3586; fax 503-378-4448; www.tspc.state.or.us.
Reedsport School District provides equal opportunities in employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or disability in accordance with state and federal law.
Consistent with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process by contacting Steve Kelley at 1-800-578-6722.
Opening Date: January 18, 2018
Closing Date: February 22, 2018
Assume Position: July 1, 2018