Superintendent: Oakridge School District, Oakridge, Oregon
Notice of Open Administrative Position
The Oakridge School District is seeking a highly qualified, student-centered leader who is motivated, energetic and a great communicator to serve as their superintendent of schools in this beautiful mountain community. Guided by the school district philosophy, goals and school board-adopted policies and priorities, the superintendent will be responsible for the operation of the Oakridge School District.
The board will offer a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits to the successful candidate starting with a base salary in the range of $105,000 - $120,000.
The district prides itself on the achievements of its students and staff. It serves approximately 600 students at two sites on a four-day school week. The elementary school houses grades K-6; the junior/senior high school covers grades 7-12, plus an alternate education site in Westfir. The district has passed a $6.2 million general obligation bond with a $4 million approved OSCIM grant. The district has approved CBA contracts with both associations through 2020.
The district is governed by a five-member school board, which is supported by a community that values education. The staff is composed of approximately 40 teachers, 50 classified support staff and three administrators.
The Oakridge School District boundaries include the communities of Westfir and Oakridge, which are located at the base of the Cascade Mountains, approximately 50 minutes east of the I-5 corridor. Oakridge is within one hour of the University of Oregon and the cities of Eugene and Springfield. Many recreational sites, miles of mountain bike trails and numerous rivers, streams and lakes surround the area. The community hosts a challenging nine-hole golf course, and a quality snow skiing resort, Willamette Pass, is only thirty-five minutes from town.
The successful candidate must have the following qualities and qualifications:
• Highly visible in the school and community; actively participates in school and community activities;
• Provides visionary leadership; demonstrates a thoughtful approach to collaborative consensus building when working with diverse groups and individuals;
• Demonstrates strong decision-making and problem-solving ability; able to delegate responsibility to others; able to make tough decisions; and follows through;
• Uses a management style to engage the participation and leadership of all stakeholders within the school and community;
• Demonstrates a commitment to the importance of academic, co-curricular and extracurricular programs with an emphasis on a well-rounded education that utilizes the community’s resources.
• A proven record of successful teaching and administrative experience in a public school district, preferably in a rural community;
• Understands school finance, demonstrates sound fiscal management and budgeting skills;
• Knowledgeable and supportive of special education and alternative education;
• Has a reputation for building supportive relationships with all students/staff/community members and for treating students/staff/community members with dignity and respect.
• Possesses exceptional communication skills;
• Ability to collaboratively develop and communicate a comprehensive vision of quality education (pre-K to post-high school) for the future to the board, students, staff and community;
• Is accessible and respects all points of view.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL CHARACTER
• Earns high levels of trust with others;
• Demonstrates an elevated level of personal/professional honesty, integrity and fairness;
• Desires a long-term commitment with the district and community; residence in the school district will be required.
All applicants will provide the following documents in Microsoft Word or PDF format. These materials must be submitted via email to Sarah Herb, OSBA board development assistant, by 5 p.m. on January 10, 2018.
• A completed application form (click here to download)
• A letter of interest stating why you wish to be employed by the Oakridge School District
• A current resume
• Three to five current letters of recommendation
• A copy of your Oregon superintendent license or proof of eligibility for an Oregon superintendent license
• A statement regarding how you meet the qualities and qualifications for this position
• A one page statement of your leadership philosophy
• A one page statement of your management philosophy
• A one page statement of your education philosophy
APPLICATION OPEN: November 22, 2017
CLOSING DATE: January 10, 2018
ASSUME POSITION: July 1, 2018
For information regarding the position, contact: Steve Kelley, Executive Search Consultant
firstname.lastname@example.org • 503.588.2800 • 800.578.6722 • 503.588.2813 (Fax)
For questions regarding the application process, contact:
Sarah Herb, Executive Search Assistant 503.588.2800 • email@example.com
OUT-OF-STATE CANDIDATES: To ensure eligibility for an Oregon superintendent’s license, direct inquiries to: Oregon Teachers Standards and Practices Commission,
503-378-3586; fax 503-378-4448; www.tspc.state.or.us.
Oakridge School District provides equal opportunities in employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or disability in accordance with state and federal law.
Consistent with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process by contacting Steve Kelley at 1-800-578-6722.
Opening Date: November 22, 2017
Closing Date: January 10, 2018
Assume Position: July 1, 2018