Assistant Superintendent - Enhanced Student Opportunities: Oregon Department of Education, Salem, Oregon
Notice of Open Administrative Position
Position: Assistant Superintendent - Enhanced Student Opportunities
Salary: $119,376-$185,088 ($127,668-$197,964 if vested in Oregon PERS)
Application Due: 4/1/2021
Apply Online: http://bit.ly/3rIvjks
We are seeking an Assistant Superintendent of Enhancing Student Opportunities to join our executive team at the Oregon Department of Education.
The Oregon Department of Education’s mission is to foster equity and excellence for every learner through collaboration with educators, partners, and communities. The Office of Enhancing Student Opportunities contributes to the mission by providing support in overall school improvement efforts to Oregon’s school districts. The work of this office includes helping districts meet the obligations of Individuals with Disability Education Act for the education of students experiencing disability, as well as oversee and support the Oregon School for the Deaf. This office also provides leadership and direction for the Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education, Youth Corrections Education, Juvenile Detention Education, Long Term Care and Treatment, Hospital and Regional Education Programs.
As our Assistant Superintendent of the Office of Enhancing Student Opportunities, you serve as a key member of the agency’s leadership team. You manage and direct all activities of the office, including our Oregon School for the Deaf.
You ensure that all students, especially those with disabilities and with other special needs, benefit from school reform and other educational innovation programs; promote the graduation of all students with disabilities and the successful transition to adult life that includes independent living and integrated employment; and reduce the numbers of students with disabilities leaving school before successfully completing a course of study or graduation.
The work of this office impacts local school districts, education service districts, professional associations, and other agencies involved in education programs in kindergarten through post-secondary education. Staff members work with a variety of state agencies and individuals on educational program planning, technical assistance, system improvement and development along with federal and state laws/regulations.
- Executive-level administrative experience (at least 8 years) in an education setting, preferably a school district, education service district or state education agency.
- Must have a Master’s Degree or higher in education, administration, leadership or closely related field preferred. Must have excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Proven track record of leadership and direction that develops, empowers and supports employees. This includes creating and reinforcing an inclusive and welcoming workplace culture, engaging staff voices to evaluate the needs of the workforce, providing professional development opportunities and developing a robust succession plan in a manner that is culturally agile and responsive to agency and community needs.
- Skilled at building relationships with stakeholder groups (internal and external) to understand challenges, develop innovative solutions and achieve equitable outcomes for all children and families across the state. This includes using an equity lens to inform community engagement, decisions and policymaking.
- Ability to use sound business practices and budget management, uphold integrity in operational practices, develop and meet short- and long-term goals, and assess and articulate our agency’s business needs to meet our education mission and vision.
- Preferred bilingual skills, inclusive of American Sign Language (ASL)
At the , we hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive. If you're driven by the passion to impact the lives of children and families statewide, the Oregon Department of Education is the place for you.
Compensation for this position is $119,376-$185,088 depending on experience (*$127,668-$197,964 if you are vested in Oregon PERS).
We also offer a generous benefit package with:
- Excellent medical, vision and dental benefit package for the employee and qualified family members with very low monthly out-of-pocket cost
- Paid days off –
- 10 paid holidays per year
- 3 additional paid "Personal Business Days" per year
- 8 hours of sick leave accumulated every month
- Progressive vacation leave accrual, starting at 10 hours per month, with increases every 5 years
- In addition to standard medical benefits and employee leave, the state also provides additional optional benefits, such as basic life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, deferred compensation savings program, and flexible spending accounts for health care and child care expenses.
You also get to live, work and play in Oregon where you have four beautiful seasons and access to beaches, mountains and the high desert.
Application Materials Required
Resume and Cover Letter - Click on the “Apply” button and submit your resume and cover letter (no longer than 2 pages). Please make sure to attach all required documents in the section titled Resume/CV. View this video for help. Failure to attach a cover letter and resume may result in disqualification of your application. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions on the application process.
We anticipate conducting interviews for this position mid-April. Our goal is to have a candidate on board June 1, 2021.
- This position is executive service and serves at the pleasure of the Director of the Oregon Department of Education.
- The work of this position is Fair Labor Standards Act exempt and frequently exceeds a 40-hour week, often extending into the evenings and weekends. Job duties require continuous in and out-of-state travel. Much of the work of this position must be accomplished within time-sensitive constraints. Employee must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record or must be able to provide an acceptable alternate method of transportation.
- Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, this position will start off fully remote with a possibility of returning to a physical office in the future.
- If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
- This recruitment announcement will be used to establish a list of qualified candidates to fill the current vacancy and may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
- This position requires successfully passing a criminal record check, which may require a fingerprint-based records check, as a condition of employment.
- Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. You may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666.
- The Oregon Department of Education does not offer visa sponsorship. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States. The Oregon Department of Education is an E-Verify employer. If you are the successful candidate you must present your I-9 acceptable documents (See page 3) for employment verification.
The Department of Education is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to a diverse workforce. The Department strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet every one of our qualifications listed. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, please feel free to contact us to discuss your application.
Opening Date: March 15, 2021
Closing Date: April 1, 2021