Superintendent: Nyssa School District, Nyssa, Oregon
Notice of Open Administrative Position
Nyssa School District is seeking an educational leader to serve as Superintendent of Schools. The newly appointed superintendent would be expected to assume duties on July 1, 2019. The successful applicant must hold a valid Oregon or comparable State Administrator/Superintendent License.
Nyssa is located in eastern Oregon, near the Idaho border and is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone. Nyssa has a population of approximately 3,200 and is in the heart of a rich agricultural area which lies along the Snake River, 55 miles from Boise, ID and 12 miles from Ontario, OR. Sugar beets, onions, potatoes, wheat, corn, mint, hay, seed and cattle prosper in the area.
Nyssa is called the Gateway to Oregon. Early travelers on the Oregon Trail taking the South Route met up with the main trail in this area of Southeast Oregon. Oregon Trail wagon wheel ruts are still visible west of Nyssa.
The valley has five colleges/universities that provide educational and related cultural opportunities. They are Treasure Valley Community College, Eastern Oregon University, College of Idaho, Northwest Nazarene University and Boise State University.
Lake Owyhee located less than one hour from Nyssa is filled with crappie and bass, while trout and catfish are plentiful in area rivers and streams. The Owyhee River is well known for its premier fly fishing. Boating and water skiing is also popular at Lake Owyhee and several other reservoirs in the area. Pheasant, chukar, quail, deer, antelope and water fowl provide hunting opportunities for hunters and fisherman who visit or reside in the area. Four ski resorts are located within easy driving distance.
School District Information:
Nyssa School District serves approximately 1150 students on a single campus with three schools: Nyssa Elementary School (K-5), Nyssa Middle School (6-8) and Nyssa High School (9-12). The district general fund budget is $15,000,000.
The district provides a month long Migrant Summer School for students. A Dual Language Immersion Program was implemented in 2014-15 at the elementary school starting with grades K-1. The program has expanded to include grades 2 through 5 with the hope of expanding to the middle school.
The elementary, middle and high school are all on one campus. The gymnasium/auditorium complex is still one of the largest and nicest for a school of this size. A new middle school with the addition of a gymnasium was constructed and completed in 2018. The district employs 7 administrators and 172 other staff. The students in the district benefit from a low student to teacher ratio. Class sizes range from 20-30.
Additional information is available on the district website at www.nyssa.k12.or.us.
• Applicants must hold a valid Oregon Administrator/Superintendent license or other comparable State Administrator/Superintendent License
• Demonstrates strong communication skills and communicates effectively with the community, staff, students and the Board of Directors
• Is approachable, accessible and listens to others with an open mind; accepts differences of opinion
• Demonstrates strong decision-making and problem-solving skills; shows integrity and involves others in the process; is able to make unpopular decisions when necessary and communicate them clearly
• Advocates for students of diverse abilities, interests and cultural backgrounds
• Prefer candidate with a strong business/accounting background and experience maintaining a budget
• Knowledge of current Oregon laws related to budget, finance, bonds, collective bargaining, and labor relations, charter schools, special needs students and facilities management; knowledge of federal education laws
• Ability to work with an elected board in an open and professional manner and serve as a resource to the board
• Demonstrates strong personal and professional honesty, integrity, fairness and justice
• Preferred candidate to be willing to live in the district
The Board will offer a competitive compensation package to the successful candidate. The salary range is $115,000 to $135,000. The successful candidate must hold or qualify for an Oregon superintendent's license.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email Audrie Tracy at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application or you may download one from our district website at www.nyssa.k12.or.us.
• Superintendent Application
• Letter of Interest addressing your qualities and qualifications
• Current Resume
• Copy of current Oregon Administrator/Superintendent License or other comparable State Administrator/Superintendent License
• Minimum of three current Letters of Recommendation
• Copies of transcripts
• Other material as desired
Application packets may be mailed, faxed or emailed to the following:
Audrie Tracy, Administrative Assistant
Nyssa School District 26
804 Adrian Blvd.
Nyssa, OR 97913
Phone (541) 372-2275
Email to email@example.com
Application and all other required materials must be received prior to 5:00 PM (MST) on February 25, 2019.
Applicants who do not submit a complete application packet will not be considered for this position.
• Application closing date is 5:00 PM (MST) on February 25, 2019
• Review applications – February 26, 2019 through March 6, specific date to be determined
• Interviews – end of March to the first of April, specific date to be determined
• Visit finalists’ current school – end of March to the first of April, specific date to be determined
• Negotiate contract / position offered – April 1-5, 2019, specific date to be determined
• Announce selection April 8, 2019
• Contract begins July 1, 2019
Names of all applicants, correspondence and files will be held in confidence. A screening committee will assist the board in finalizing a list of candidates. Finalists will be personally interviewed by the board and the board inquiry will extend with a site visit to the finalists’ current school.
OUT-OF-STATE CANDIDATES: To ensure eligibility for an Oregon administrator’s license, direct inquiries to: Oregon Teachers Standards and Practices Commission,
503-378-3586; fax 503-378-4448; www.tspc.state.or.us.
NyssaSchool District provides equal opportunities in employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or disability in accordance with state and federal law. Consistent with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process by contacting Steve Kelley at 1-800-578-6722.
The TimelineAPPLICATION OPEN: January 24, 2019
CLOSING DATE: February 25, 2019
APPLICATION SCREENING: February 26 - March 6, 2019
INTERVIEWS: End of March to the first of April 2019
ASSUME POSITION: July 1, 2019