Superintendent: Monument School District, Monument, Oregon
Notice of Open Administrative Position
About Us: The school district is a K-12 system with separate elementary and secondary buildings, a large gymnasium, and the Ron Gaither Science Center. Monument has one of the best student to teacher ratios in the State, serving approximately 60 students K-12.
Monument School District’s education system, while maintaining flexibility in adapting to an ever-changing society, is dedicated to the personal development of each student to his/her potential through a sequentially-coordinated curriculum that allows for individual differences, rigorous standards and opportunity to succeed. As students develop abilities, they are expected to acquire proficiency in the skill subjects, attain efficient and satisfying work habits, grow physically strong, acquire wholesome interests, responsibly direct their lives, develop desirable social attitudes, assume citizenship responsibilities, learn their heritage and their place in a global society and cultivate intellectual interests.
Our close-knit community, rural lifestyle and commitment to our students makes Monument an exceptional place to live, work and raise a family. Monument offers a wide variety of outdoor activities, breathtaking scenery and an area rich in history. Located in the Blue Mountains, the landscape encompasses high desert grasslands, beautiful valleys, forests of Ponderosa Pine and alpine lakes and meadows. The school sits on the banks of the North Fork of the John Day River, providing immediate access to fishing and rafting, as well as hunting and hiking opportunities around one of the longest free-flowing rivers in the contiguous United States.
Desired Qualities and Characteristics: Monument School District is seeking an education leader who:
• Understands the challenges and opportunities of educating students in frontier Oregon.
• Demands instructional excellence of staff, successful achievement of students, and life-long learning for everyone.
• Demonstrates sound financial management skills, as well as a commitment to finding new sources of funding.
• Effectively communicates with all stakeholders in the education of our children—including parents, children, staff, and community.
• Maintains a high degree of visibility within the community and school.
• Demonstrates instructional leadership, excellent organizational skills, an understanding of curriculum, instruction, assessment, professional growth and is able to lead processes for school and staff improvement and development.
Compensation: The compensation package is competitive with similarly sized districts and negotiable based on experience and includes: PERS pickup by the district, district housing, and full insurance benefits (medical, dental, and vision), Candidates must possess, or be able to obtain, an Oregon Administrative license.
Timeline: Applications will be accepted until March 30, 2018. Applicants selected for interviews will be invited to the District to meet with staff, students and community members. The Board may conduct on-site visitations. Selection will take place on May 17, 2018. Duties will begin July 1, 2018.
Application packet contents:
• A completed application form from Monument School District (www.grantesd.k12.or.us\MonSuptSearch.pdf)
• A letter of interest
• A resume including references
• Three letters of recommendation
All Application materials will be sent to:
Grant County ESD
Monument Supt Search
835A S. Canyon Blvd.
John Day, OR 97845
Monument School District 8
P.O. Box 127
127 North Street
Monument, OR 97864
Opening Date: January 11, 2018
Closing Date: March 30, 2018
Assume Position: July 1, 2018