Superintendent/Principal: Cove School District, Cove, Oregon
Notice of Open Administrative Position
“The Cove School District, where every student is important, promotes lifelong learning through community partnership.” The focus for Cove School District #15 is academic. It is our desire to provide a rigorous curriculum, which prepares students for the 21st Century.
• Family is the primary influence in the development and education of the child.
• It takes the total community to raise a child.
• Learning is an active, lifelong process.
• It is the school’s responsibility to provide continual opportunities for student success.
• Every individual is unique and important.
• A student’s attitude and self- image are key factors in his or her educational success.
• Quality teaching demands innovation, collaboration and continual professional development.
The Cove School District Board of Directors is seeking an outstanding educational leader to serve as superintendent and elementary principal. The successful candidate must have proven leadership skills, demonstrated success as an administrator/instructional leader, excellent communication and fiscal skills and also exhibit a high level of personal and professional integrity.
The Board will offer a competitive compensation package to the successful candidate. The successful candidate must hold or qualify for an Oregon superintendent’s license.
The Cove School District serves nearly 290 students in grades K-12. The district has one elementary school, one middle school (K-8) and one
high school (9-12), all in a rural setting on a single campus. The district
employs 21 licensed, five classified, two administrative and three confidential (non-represented) full-time staff. The district has a general fund budget of approximately $5 million.
The district is located in rural Union County, east of the Blue Mountains in northeast Oregon. Cove has a population of 680 within the city limits, and approximately 1,200 in the greater Cove area within the school district boundaries. The city of La Grande, 15 miles to the east, has a population of 14,000 and is the home of Eastern Oregon University.
The successful candidate must have the following qualities and qualifications:
• Demonstrates strong decision-making and problem-solving abilities; able to delegate and supervise responsibility to others; can make unpopular decisions when necessary and communicate them clearly;
• Highly visible in the school and community; actively participates in school and community activities;
• Provides visionary leadership; demonstrates a thoughtful approach to collaborative consensus building when working with diverse groups and individuals;
• Demonstrates a commitment to the importance of academic, co-curricular and extracurricular programs with an emphasis on a well-rounded education that utilizes the community’s resources.
• Demonstrates strong communication skills and makes this a priority in this position.
• Displays a transparent communication style by utilizing all of the district’s tools to communicate with students, families, community members and staff;
• Is approachable, accessible and listens to others with an open mind and accepts differences of opinion.
• A proven record of successful teaching and administrative experience in a public school district, preferably in a rural community; charter school experience is desired;
• Understands school finance, demonstrates sound fiscal management and budgeting skills;
• Has a reputation for building positive, supportive relationships with all students/staff/community members and for treating ALL with dignity and respect;
• Ability to identify, select, motivate and evaluate high-quality staff.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL CHARACTER
• Shows a genuine concern for and understanding of students;
• Earns high levels of trust;
• Demonstrates an elevated level of personal/professional honesty, integrity and fairness;
• Desires a long-term commitment with the district and community with residence within the school district strongly encouraged.
All applicants will provide the following documents in Microsoft Word or PDF format. These materials must be submitted via email to Sarah Herb, OSBA board development assistant, by 5 p.m. on January 9, 2018.
• A completed application form, found here
• A letter of interest stating why you wish to be employed by the Cove School District
• A current resume
• Three to five current letters of recommendation
• A copy of your Oregon superintendent license or proof of eligibility for an Oregon superintendent license
• A statement regarding how you meet the qualities and qualifications for this position
APPLICATION OPEN: December 4, 2017
CLOSING DATE: January 9, 2018
ASSUME POSITION: July 1, 2018
For information regarding the position, contact: Steve Kelley, Executive Search Consultant
email@example.com • 503.588.2800 • 800.578.6722 • 503.588.2813 (Fax)
For questions regarding the application process, contact:
Sarah Herb, Executive Search Assistant 503.588.2800 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening Date: December 4, 2017
Closing Date: January 9, 2018
Assume Position: July 1, 2018