The Bandon School District Board of Directors is seeking a highly qualified candidate with visionary leadership skills and successful experience in education administration to serve as superintendent. The successful candidate must have experience as an administrator, excellent communication skills, unquestionable integrity and be willing to be involved in the community.
The Bandon School District is comprised of about 600 students in one elementary school (K-4), one middle school (5-8) and one high school (9-12). The district employs a staff of 41 licensed employees, 50 classified employees, 7 confidential employees, and four administrators. The district has a general fund budget of approximately $10 million and a $4 million bond with a matching $4 million grant.
Bandon is located on the Southern Oregon coast along scenic Highway 101 at the mouth of the Coquille river. It is known as the Cranberry Capital of Oregon and boasts the famous Bandon Dunes. Recreational activities include beachcombing, eating cheese, fishing, crabbing and hiking. Bandon’s economy is comprised of timber, tourism, small manufacturing, farming, agriculture, fishing and small independent businesses. Weather in the area is similar to that in San Francisco. The city is 75 miles north of the California border and 230 miles south of Portland.
The Qualities and Qualifications of the position:
• Effective communication and listening skills.
• Committed to serving all kids by putting students first in all decisions.
• High degree of integrity/honesty with strong core values.
• Background in teaching and building administration (instructional leadership) preferably in small rural communities.
• Proven ability to make tough decisions when necessary and effectively communicate the reasons (transparency).
• Is personable/approachable while keeping an open mind; good sense of humor.
• Ability to build and sustain strong, effective family/community partnerships that impact student success.
• Understands Oregon school finance, demonstrates sound fiscal management and strong budgeting skills.
• A well-organized, collaborative and empowering leader who can determine the district’s priorities and move the entire school district/community in that direction.
• Highly visible and meaningfully engaged in our community and schools.
The board will offer a competitive compensation package to the successful candidate, the salary range is $110,000 - $125,000. The successful candidate must hold or qualify for an Oregon superintendent's license.
Application Process: Application packets are submitted via the Revelus application portal, linked below. All applicants will submit a candidate profile (which will be completed when you create your Revelus account) and application as well as upload the following documents to the application portal linked below. The application packet must be submitted by 5pm on the closing day.
1. Completed Application form
2. Current resume
3. Cover letter of interest
4. 3-5 current letters of reference
5. Copy of administrator license or proof of eligibility
6. A statement on how you meet the qualities and qualifications set by the board (in narrative form, no longer than 500 words)
OUT-OF-STATE CANDIDATES: To ensure eligibility for an Oregon administrator’s license, direct inquiries to: Oregon Teachers Standards and Practices Commission,
503-378-3586; fax 503-378-4448; www.tspc.state.or.us.
Bandon School District provides equal opportunities in employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or disability in accordance with state and federal law. Consistent with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA), applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process by contacting Steve Kelley at 1-800-578-6722.
APPLICATION OPEN: January 14, 2020
CLOSING DATE: February 25, 2021
INTERVIEWS: March 18 - 21, 2021
FINALIST FORUM: April 7 - 8, 2021
ASSUME POSITION: July 1, 2021
Bandon School District is an equal opportunity employer.