Selecting the chief executive officer is your most important job as a board member.
OSBA customizes every search to meet the needs of the board and the community. OSBA staff and consultants work alongside your board to facilitate the process, offer advice and swiftly and professionally handle the many details of this critical task.
You, as the board, are the client - and you are in charge.
Since 1984, OSBA has helped boards hire nearly 500 executives for Oregon school districts, education service districts, community colleges and other agencies. Our executive search service is the most comprehensive, experienced and successful in Oregon. We help your board hire not just a person, but the right person.
We help you:
Establish the search timeline
- We plan so your opening attracts the largest possible pool of candidates.
Determine selection criteria
- We help you accurately reflect your organization and community priorities.
- We facilitate meetings with your board, staff and community members to determine desired candidate qualifications.
- We provide the board with a compilation of all desired qualities and qualifications.
Advertise the vacancy and assist with candidate recruitment
- We promptly distribute a notice of vacancy to interested candidates and educational organizations throughout the United States.
- We post the vacancy in several state and national print and online publications.
- We design a high-quality, full-color brochure and application materials.
- We post the vacancy and brochure on our nationally-recognized Web site.
- We provide recruitment and application materials to all interested applicants.
- We handle calls and correspondence.
- We maintain applicant files.
- We train and work with the board, designated committee or both.
OR, for an additional fee:
- We screen the applications and provide a list of qualified candidates for the board to consider interviewing.
Select the finalist
- We help the board develop the interview process.
- We arrange interviews.
- We notify candidates of their status.
- We train board members to conduct in-depth phone reference checks and site visits.
OR, for an additional fee:
- We will conduct in-depth reference checks.
Establish professional relationships
- We provide a written analysis of your current executive's contract language. An OSBA attorney presents to the board in person to discuss in detail.
- We conduct a workshop with the board and new executive on roles and responsibilities.
- We meet with the new executive to review policy and state law.
And, we offer:
Superintendent Transition Plan
(No additional cost)
Because the first year is so critical for setting the tone of professional relationships, OSBA offers board/superintendent coaching to help your new team operate effectively. OSBA will meet with you and your new executive to cover:
- Goal setting
- Operating agreements
- Performance evaluation
- Public meetings and executive sessions
- Effective communications
Help finding an interim:
If it's too late in the year to conduct a full search, OSBA can help boards find an interim executive. We will discuss the process with the board and furnish a list of potential interim candidates.
What past clients have to say:
"Our consultant did an excellent job of communicating the process and advising us as to the expectations. Our ESD was presented in a positive light through an attractive brochure and we received positive feedback from the application process."
Southern Oregon ESD board member
"Our consultant was very professional at all times. She was organized and kept us focused from start to finish. We could not have done this as efficiently without her."
Ontario School District board member
Click here to download our executive search services brochure.
Click here to download our executive search sample calendar.
Click here to download our executive search process checklist.
For more information, please contact Steve Kelley.
Contact Steve Kelley for information on pricing.