Summer board conference 2011
July 15-17, 2011
Bend - Riverhouse on the Deschutes - 3075 N Business 97, Bend, OR 97701 - 866-453-4480
Join with your fellow board members at OSBA's Summer Board Conference to prepare for better days and prepare Oregon students for their future. Educational experts and OSBA staff members are ready to help you discover your strengths, build on shared knowledge, learn new information and craft exceptional solutions.
With workshops designed for veteran and new board members and administrators, this Summer Board Conference focuses on the critical role of the board in creating a culture of trust and safety for students and staff. Learn what it takes to build a strong governance structure with clearly defined processes to move your district forward. From policy development to parliamentary procedure, ethics to equity and school law to student achievement, we will cover all you need to know to confidently confront the challenges of the upcoming year.
Summer Board Conference – July 16-17
Saturday, July 16 –
Registration desk: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Keynote presenter: Dr. Michele Borba, parenting, child and adolescent expert
Other workshop highlights:
- Roles and responsibilities
- Parliamentary procedure for chairs
- Boards role in fiscal oversight
- Crisis communications
- Legislative update
Sunday, July 17 –
7:30 - 8:00 a.m. -- Breakfast Buffet
Cascade B at the Convention Center
8:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
9:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
- Data and student achievement
- School law basics
- Superintendent evaluation
- Boards role in employee termination
- Public meetings and executive sessions
- Charter schools
- Trust and school climates
OSBA Leadership Institute
Qualify for the bronze level award in two days by attending these five sessions!
Questions? Email Leslie Fisher
Highlight of workshops available at summer board conference designed for veteran and new board members and administrators.
Summer board conference
Friday, July 15 – Board Secretaries' Day
8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Come attend a full day workshop session. You play a crucial role in keeping your board on track. Learn what every board secretary needs to know about new public records laws, ethics and elections law. Gain insight on dealing with challenging board members, and meetings that don’t go quite as planned. Hear words of advice from a panel of experienced board members and share ideas for the development of a Board Secretaries' Manual. The workshop will be fast-paced and fun and help energize you for the next school year.
The cost for Board Secretaries' Day is $125 per person for OSBA members ($225 non-members). Includes lunch, refreshments and conference materials. Register using the online link: select 'Board Secretaries'
Reserve a spot for your new board members coming on July 1 at summer conference. Cancellation fee applies after July 7.
To register for summer board conference online, select Summer Board conference from the online registration link. To access Friday preconference workshops, you must first register for summer board conference then select one of the two preconference workshops available.
Friday pre-conference workshops and Board Secretaries' Day: Each pre-conference workshop (choose from two available) or Board Secretaries' Day requires separate registration. The cost is $125 per person for OSBA members ($225 non-members). Includes lunch, refreshments and conference materials.
Saturday and Sunday Summer board conference: The cost is $175 per person for the first three attendees and $140 for each additional attendee ($275 non-members). Registration includes Saturday lunch, Sunday breakfast, refreshments and conference materials.
Cancellation: There is a $50 fee for each cancellation received on or after July 7. No-shows will be billed the full registration fee.
Meals: A breakfast is provided each day at the hotel as part of your guest room reservation and begins serving at 6:30 a.m. Sunday breakfast buffet at the conference is included in your registration.
Friday, July 15
Board Secretaries' Workshop
- Board Meetings: When the Wheels Fall Off (191KB) by Joe Wehrli, Associate Executive Director, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
- Understanding and Dealing with Problem Board Members (3.61KB) by Steve Lamb, Specialist, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
Making Meetings Matter
- With Betsy Miller-Jones, Associate Director, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
- No online handouts - contact email@example.com for more information.
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
- Charter School Conversion (146KB) by Morgan Smith, Attorney, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services; Mark Jeffery, Superintendent, Warrenton-Hammond SD; Mike Hughes, Superintendent, Elkton SD
- Foundation Income and Fees (439KB) by Ben Becker, Attorney, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services and Peggy Holstedt, Associate Director, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
- What Happens when a District Runs out of Money/Receivership (1.89MB) by Haley Percell, Attorney, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services and Lisa Freiley, Associate Executive Director, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services
Saturday, July 16
Summer Board Conference
- Parliamentary Procedure for Chairs (142KB) by Joe Wehrli, Associate Executive Director, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
- Roles and Responsibilities (2.46MB) by Steve Lamb, Specialist, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
- Legislative Review (393KB) by Tricia Yates, Associate Executive Director, Lori Sattenspiel, Specialist and Morgan Allen, Specialist, OSBA Legislative and Public Affairs
- Boards' Role in Fiscal Oversight (967KB) by Betsy Miller-Jones, Associate Director, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services, and (19.4KB) Scott Pillar, District Manager, Black Butte School District
- Board Governance through Policy (124KB) by Peggy Holstedt, Associate Director, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
- Crisis Communications (173KB) by Bill Dixon, Consultant; Rick Hensel, Superintendent, Gervais SD; Cynda Rickert, Superintendent, Eagle Point SD; Jens Jensen, Assistant Property/Casualty Claims Manager, PACE/SDAO
- Ethics (1.19MB) by Tom Lenox, Attorney, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services
Sunday, July 17
Summer Board Conference
- Trust and School Climate (5.38MB) by Steve Lamb, Specialist, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
- Charter Schools (279KB) by Lori Sattenspiel, Specialist, OSBA Legislative and Public Affairs and Morgan Smith, Attorney, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services
- Public Meetings and Executive Sessions (908KB) by Tom Lenox and Haley Percell, Attorneys, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services
- Boards' Role in Employee Termination (206KB) by Jeff Heinrich, Attorney, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services
- Superintendent Evaluation (739KB) by Betsy Miller-Jones, Associate Director, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
- Equity (819KB) by Joe Wehrli, Associate Executive Director, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
- Oregon - Looking Back in Order to Look Forward Timeline (43.4KB)
- School Law Basics (285KB) by Morgan Smith and Ben Becker, Attorneys, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services
- A Systems Approach to Student Achievement (275KB) by Rick Stucky, Specialist, OSBA Board Development and Policy Services
Hot Topics Tables
- Charter School Conversion (107KB) by Morgan Smith, Attorney, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services
- Shared Services and Consolidation (78KB) by Jeff Heinrich, Attorney, OSBA Legal, Labor and Employment Services
Friday, July 15 – Pre-conference board member workshops
Come a day early and attend a full-day pre-conference session. Making Meetings Matter, highly recommended by board members who have attended in the past, will help you make your time at meetings effective and productive. Between a Rock and a Hard Place will help you gain understanding of tough issues of school closures, four-day weeks, consolidations, subcontracting services and others. Choose from one of the following board member workshops. To access a preconference workshop you must first register for summer board conference.
Between a Rock and a Hard Place - 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Spend a full day exploring the pros, cons, tradeoffs and legal issues surrounding the tough decisions districts are implementing to meet Oregon's education funding reductions. Layoffs, four-day weeks, district and school consolidations, charter conversions and program reductions will all be covered by OSBA staff and administrators and board members who have weathered these changes. See the agenda ( - 87KB) to find out more about this preconference workshop. (updated posted 6/15/11)
Making Meetings Matter - 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Are the hours you spend in board meetings productive? This workshop will help new and veteran board members and superintendents evaluate and improve board meetings. Entertaining videos and hands-on participation keep the session relevant and rolling as we discuss:
- Symptoms of ineffective meetings
- Ingredients for success
- Developing agendas to reflect board work
- Conducting legal meetings
- Encouraging appropriate public participation
- Best practices of high-functioning school boards
- Agenda - (87KB)
The cost for a pre-conference workshop is $125 per person for OSBA members ($225 non-members). Includes lunch, refreshments and conference materials. To register online for a pre-conference workshop select the online Summer Board conference link and first register for summer board conference.
Keynote presenter: Dr. Michele Borba
Keynote presenter: Dr. Michele Borba
Do you want students to be more responsible, compassionate and respectful? How about have self-control, make wiser choices and be more accountable for their actions? Join Dr. Michele Borba to learn what moral intelligence is, why it is teachable and how you can use your leadership position to make a difference in increasing student's pro-social behavior and character. This session is based on Dr. Borba's award-winning book, Building Moral Intelligence. Dr. Borba is an internationally renowned educator, award-winning author, parenting, child and adolescent expert. She is widely recognized for practical solution-based strategies to strengthen children’s behavior, character and social development and build strong families. Her proposal to end bullying in schools was signed into California law in 2002. She shares realistic, research-based advice culled from a career of working with over one million parents and educators worldwide. The award winning author of 22 books, her latest is The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries (Jossey-Bass). Dr. Borba is a former classroom and college teacher with a wide range of experience including work in regular education and with children with learning, physical, behavioral and emotional disabilities. She lives in Palm Springs, California with her husband and has three grown sons.
Make hotel reservations directily with The Riverhouse Hotel in Bend, Oregon. Call the hotel at 800-547-3928 and specify that you are attending the OSBA conference. Hotel rates are: standard-$118-single/double; riverview-$128-single/double; and $147 for a suite single/double (limited availability), plus 13% tax and fees. After June 20, 2011 hotel reservations at the group rate will be accepted only on a space- and rate-available basis.
Information about The Riverhouse Hotel's room and/or cancellation policies and the breakfast available as part of your room reservation (served beginning at 6:30 a.m.) is available from the hotel.
List of other Bend area housing